Why Being “Geek” Is Better Than “Chic” At University
That time of the year has come around again. Some of you are going back to university or college for your second or final year whilst a handful of you are just starting the journey that is student life. So as a graduate I thought I’d share a little secret with you and yes you guessed it, that secret is why it’s better to be geek than chic at university!
University is that time in your life for making the most of wild, random parties, drinking until you puke and getting as much attention from the opposite sex as possible, right? Well, even if you disagree there are millions of students around the world who view university as their time to pretty much “let loose” and “turn up” to the extreme – but is it really worth it?
Don’t get me wrong it’s great to let your hair down, have fun and try new things, especially when you’re at university which is essentially your last remaining bit of “teen-hood” before you’re faced with the terrible realisation that you’re an adult, with adult responsibilities in the real world that isn’t always one of the nicest places. However, what most uni students forget about is the reason that they’re actually there in the first place – to study. Something that isn’t helped at all by constant partying and crazy nights out to say the least. Being popular among your peers is great, but will it get you the grade?
Here are five reasons why it’s best to be an underdog at university…
- You will stress less – Let’s face it, being in a relationship whilst at university can be pretty stressful. University on it’s own is enough pressure without rumours of your other half cheating on you with the girl four rooms down, or better yet being accused of cheating yourself. Relationship drama can put a huge strain on your studies so it’s best to avoid getting into a serious relationship. Better yet, just avoid the opposite sex at all cost.
- You save money – Alcohol, clothes and travel costs can get pretty high when you’re busy being a social butterfly. College and university tuition fees are enough to make anyone go broke; saving every penny you can will really go a long way.
- Students who party less, study more – its pretty simple. If you’re not out partying – you’re probably in studying for that all-important exam.
- Teachers will love you – There’s nothing a teacher loves more than a geeky student. Your teachers may seem irrelevant after university but they can really help when it comes to getting recommendations and industry links. Keep them in your good books and let them know you’re serious about you’re degree.
- You’ll probably end up being more successful than everyone else – This is always the case (well, most of the time). Being an underdog really is your best bet at getting that all important first-class degree.
Don’t believe me? Check out this list of famous faces that were geeks and turned out to be pretty successful…